Friday, January 28, 2011

Eff my life. That basically sums up my day today. Lets start from the very beginning, meaning 12am, Friday, January 28. Courtney is still awake. And if you read my last blog, you would know I had to get up at 4:45am. 4:45 minus 12 am = 4 hours and 45 minutes of sleep. Unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough for that. I probably didn't fall asleep until 1230 or maybe even 1. I don't know what the deal is, but apparently I can't fall asleep before 12am these days! Anyway, so I woke up at 4:45, barely functioning as I didn't have much sleep. I put my contacts in, eyes burning like no other, got ready and went out into the darkness of the morning to get a cab to go to my job. I get to the "job site" if you would like to call it that, at about 6am. I start my hair at around 6:15. First note: the hair dressers here always find it necessary to part my hair the opposite of the natural way. They feel the "cow lick" look is nice I guess. Which in their defence, sometimes it doesn't actually look to bad, depends how they do the rest of the hair.. Makeup starts sometime between hair and 7am. At about 730 the hair and makeup people along with other workers take a break to eat "breakfast". Second note: breakfast here means rice and chicken or noodles and chicken or beef or pork or whatever meat you want. In other words, breakfast here is like dinner in Canada or any other part of the world. I start shooting at 8 or soon after 8. Third note: property jobs = no fun at all. It was only print, so it was basically most boring time ever. A really easy job, but so so so boring!! We shoot one setting, then we move areas to a new one, shoot that setting move, etc etc. By the time we finish at this one location it is about 1230 and are ready to move to our next location. Our second location is about an hour away from the first, so I went with the hair dresser and makeup artist. We get lost a few times, but eventually find it at around 2 pm. We eat lunch and then start the last shot (we travelled for an hour for 1 shot..). Anyways, we finish it all at about 5pm, thank god!! I really condensed this day, but it was so so so painful, I cannot even describe. I guess I shouldn't be complaining because being here is a pretty sweet deal, I mean, I could be at school.. But I am currently exhausted and slightly bitter about the day if you didn't already notice.. it was just so slow and monotonous as well as A LOT of waiting around. I was at the job for 11 hours total, but was only actually in action, shooting, for about 4 maybe 5 hours.. That means 6 or 7 hours of waiting around! NOT FUN. Especially when you have a slight impatience problem such as I do.. We leave the site shortly after 5 and I am so happy the day is done and I can go back to my apartment. Unfortunately for me, the ride home took about 2.5 hours. OH MY LORD. I was basically have a freak session in the van. First off, I hadn't been feeling so well all day, probably from the lack of sleep, so a 2.5 hour ride home didn't help (it taking so long because of traffic). I also had to pee extremely bad, but when your in a van in the middle of a large traffic situation, this is slightly difficult. Oh yea, to add to the traffic situation, we sat at a red light for 25 MINUTES. Your thinking, "oh come on Courtney, stop exaggerating". But I'm not! For all I know it could have been longer! We had been sitting at this light for not sure how long and I eventually check the time, its 6:17. By the time the light turned green, it was 6:42 and the light stayed green for a whole 15 seconds, not allowing us to get through. Fortunately, the next red light only lasted 3 minutes, so we were able to get through the next one! Second last point on the agenda here today: at this job, there were copious amounts of mosquitos. Mosquitos love Courtney, wahhhhh. I am now back at my apartment with 5 bites on my left leg and 3 on my right. Joy. Last but certainly not least (this does not pertain to the job at all, but thought it was worth a mention): there are these stores here called "Fresh Mart". When you hear Fresh Mart, your probably thinking fresh produce and fruit and all that jazz. Oh no, none of that is here. Its ALL frozen, packaged food.. Now tell me, how does that qualify as "fresh"? Trying to keep my chin up after a not so lovely day, I'm sure tomorrow will be better and I know Sunday will be, as I am going to be hanging out with my cousins! Later days to whoever is reading this, I'll keep you posted on events to come!

2 comments:

  1. Are you done venting... Sorry you had a bad day!!...LOL....Suck it up butter cup...LOL. We all have had miserable days, I guess it was just your turn. And hey...look at you...traveling the world getting to see and do all the things you do, do...while the rest of us deal with that crap in our own backyards. You want to see traffic....stop by Chicago...I got some traffic for ya.
    Fortunately those kind of days do come to an end, and hope you have some better ones.
    Love, Uncle Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha thanks Uncle Mike. I do feel a little bit bad complaining after hearing what you've had to go through over in Chicago ;) Sounds like not much fun, good thing your a Canadian and can handle those kinds of things! ;) haha!

    ReplyDelete