Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 1. So far it's been good, I finally arrived in Bangkok Wednesday at about 12pm Bangkok time. When I arrived I dropped my stuff off and then went to the agency. There I got a sim card for my phone and my week money. After that I went to the Big C, which is kind of like the Superstore of Bangkok, but has a few more 'supers' in it. It is a 3 floor huge huge huge supercentre. The first floor has food, drinks and all the eating stuff. The second floor is women's clothing, bulk packed drinks, toiletries, toilet paper, detergent etc. Then the third floor is electronics, household items such as irons, kettles etc. and also outdoor stuff, mens clothing and exercise things. So basically this place has anything and everything and is just crazy big! Anyway, I went there, bought some food, water, a towel (which last time the apartment people gave me, but this time no dice), some detergent, and a small mattress pad (my bed is basically hard as rock, mine as well sleep on the tile floor, actually). So after going there, I came back to my apartment and unpacked, ooohhhh how I love unpacking...not. A nap was also in the cards, I had been travelling for basically two days and who knows what time zone my body is really on, so I was in desperate need of a nap. I woke up, talked to my mom on Skype for a bit and then went to bed at around 10pm. Lucky me and having the experience of getting used to what time zone I'm in, I woke up at 4:30, 5:30 and then 7:30, giving me a final waking time of about 8am... fun. I didn't have to go to the agency until 10:30, so I had a couple hours to laze around and get ready. 10:30 rolled around and I went to the agency, getting a map for my first casting which was for drinking water. Luckily I was the first one at the casting, yaay! They did my hair and makeup (normal casting for here), then I changed and went to do the casting. In this casting I had a few shots to take.. One of me telling my friends the reason why I was so beautiful was because I was drinking this water, another of me just holding the water, one of me in my office putting on my makeup, another in a change room looking at my clothes, almost done.. another of me wearing a face mask and last but not least the one where I am actually drinking the water. Oooh how I love castings in Bangkok.... So after all of that shenanigans, I went back to the agency, hung out for a bit and then took another trip to the Big C. This time I got a yoga mat, so I can exercise in my apartment (I have much much floor space, its great - and thats not sarcasm either!). I also got a kettle and some green tea, mmmmm. That's basically all I did today, after the Big C, I came back to the apartment and just chilled. I was trying to force myself to stay awake so I would maybe sleep the whole night, but that did not work at all, I fell asleep for about 45 minutes. Now I am here, waiting for my mom on Skype and then heading to bed once my eyelids won't stay open anymore. Before I forget though, I have a few random things to throw out there:

1. Entering the taipei airport, I had to go through security again, but didn't have to show my boarding pass.. odd.

2. As I went to board the plane in Taipei, no ID or passport was required.. also odd.

3. When I was boarding my plane in Vancouver which went to Taipei, after having your ticket scanned, you walked about a meter and there were two police officers/security guards checking everyones passports and asking quite a few people quite a few questions. When I went up they asked where I was going and then let me right through, others not so lucky! The lady before me was asked where she lived, who she lived with, why she was going to Taipei, if she ever had any trouble with the police etc. Quite a few people were having this happen to them, I was curious why, but obviously never found out.

4. The person that picked me up from the airport to take me to my apartment, the speedometer in the car stayed at 0 the whole time.. in other words did not work. I guess this also brings me to the fact that Bangkok has no speed limit, so goes hand in hand with the non working speedometer.

5. I got a pedicure for  6 dollars Canadian today.. when does that EVER happen?

6. I walked by a McDonalds, saw they had a few pie varieties. At home we have apple and cherry or something, but here they have apple, corn and ham and cheese? Weird.

As the days pass I know this blog is going to fill with weird things about Bangkok, by that I mean things that are way different from Canada. Everything I wrote today is all I remember for now, but I know there is a lot more that will come. Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You gotta steal another girl's mattress. You and I both know that is the only way to survive... Hhahah

    PS. Sweeeeeeeeeet that you're in Bangkok, not sweeeeeeeeet about hair and makeup all day, everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahhaah I do need to steal another mattress! Except I have a slight issue in that department.. I live by myself.. hahaha. But maybe one day I can sneak into another girls room and switch them without her knowing....?

    Yea it's pretty sweet, minus the hair and makeup thing obviously. But the castings I have been to so far haven't taken that long so I'm fairly happy about that! Also I just bought a dress, a wallet, 4 mini flags and another item which cannot be named because I might give it to my mom and she'll read this.. all for like 20 dollars!!

    ReplyDelete