Sunday, October 24, 2010

Alright, soo past few days, nothing to interesting has been happening. The usual castings and such. Its been kind of crappy weather outside though. Yesterday we went to People's Square, an area downtown Shanghai and we saw some sights and did touristy things such as that. We went to an art museum there too, it was quite interesting! It was like abstract art and stuff, not just the normal paintings and glass bowls and stuff. The weather wasn't so nice, so we didn't stay out long, but enough time to snap some photos! Today is still no so nice, slightly chilly with a wild wind, not fun. We have been going to bed ridiculously early, which in turn means waking up ridiculously early. Example, bedtime starting at 9:30 pm (I didn't even go to bed that early when I was in school and had to get up at 7!), then waking up starting at 7:30, latest 8:30, maybe 9 if i'm lucky. How fun right? I made some new clothing purchases the other day, quite stylish pieces I would say, haha. 2 coats, 2 long shirt thingers, a belt and just a long sleeve shirt to go under one of the long shirt things. I also bought some new shoes yesterday, just plain black heels, as mine were slowly dying on me. That's all I really have to blog about for now, minus a few tid bits of info about Shanghai life:

1. About half of the population rides a pedal bike, motorized bike or scooter thing. (including old men and women)

2. People park and drive on the sidewalk. Not only the bikes, but cars and vans as well. Whens the last time you thought you'd have to move out of the way for a car when taking a stroll on a sidewalk?

3. Men spit everywhere.. gross.

4. It's colder here than Hong Kong, windy quite often as well. I actually need a jacket sometimes, never thought I'd say that.

5. People are quite rude here, they bump into you on the street and don't apologize or probably don't even notice it happened. But overall just a ruder population of people I gather.

6. Pedestrians have to yield to vehicles/bikers all the time, no such thing as being safe to cross at a crosswalk with the walk light on.

7. Some intersections will have the cross walk on the pavement, but no crossing light, so you have to do so at your own risk.

8. There are golf stores here EVERYWHERE. I see them all the flippin time. They are every 5 or 10 minutes I swear!

9. Minimal english is spoken here, its just super

10. The driving is super crazy. They weave in and out like nobody's business and if the person infront of them is going to slow they will just go into the opposite lane to pass, opposite as in cars are coming towards you. There are also no seatbelts, woopeee. Soo most dangerous driving EVER and no seatbelts, perfect! Oh and they don't break until the very very very last second. Like why start breaking early when you can just slam on the breaks right before you hit the car infront of you?

11. Last but not least, I believe I saw a fake Volkswagen Passat the other day. On the back of vehicles, it usually says what it is on the right side, example "Passat". So we're behind this vehicle and I look and it says "Passta", but looks exactly like a Passat. Ummm I don't think VW would make a mistake such as spelling one of the names of their vehicles wrong. Questionable? I think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment